g The Film Panel Notetaker: Date Number One with a Cocaine Angel (original post 9/5/06)

Friday, September 22, 2006

Date Number One with a Cocaine Angel (original post 9/5/06)

[Pictured above: Sujewa Ekanayake with sister at Date Number One NYC premiere at Two Boots Pioneer Theater.]


Its been quite a busy week for me since Ive moved into my new Brooklyn apartment. Here's a little of what Ive been up to.

Last Thursday, I attended the NYC premiere of DIY filmmaker Sujewa Ekanayake's "Date Number One" at the Two Boots Pioneer Theater. This was a special premiere for me, as I partook in publicizing the event, sending out press releases to dozens upon dozens of indie film, entertainment, and NYC-area news media & bloggers, posting notices on Myspace, Shooting People, Indieloop, Indieclub, and many more. Emailing all my friends and acquaintances. Taping up posters with Sujewa in the East Village, and by myself in my old neighborhood of Astoria, Queens. Spreading the word, and getting people to know about the film. It was a lot of effort in a little amount of time, but it was all worth it. Sujewa is a really great guy and filmmaker.
Thanks Sujewa for allowing me to help you promote your film and introducing me to Sri Lankan cuisine before the premiere. Thanks for everyone who came, and helped spread the word. Please keep an eye out for screenings in you area here.

In other news, last night I attended Brooklyn Independent at Barbès in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I saw Michael Tully's feature "Cocaine Angel," which was preceded by the short films "Son" and "Gowanus, Brooklyn." Danielle of Indiepix sent me the invite a while ago, and since I knew that I'd only be six subway stops from the location, it would be so much easier to attend, when previously living in Astoria, so I plan to attend a lot more, and hope to bring some friends with me next time..you know who you are :)

"Cocaine Angel" was a rather gritty and emotional drama, with kudos to Damien Lahey for his very convincing performance. I also got to meet and talk to some really cool people who attended the screening: S.T. VanAirsdale of The Reeler (who I wrote about in my very first blog entry), Aaron Katz, director of Dance Party U.S.A., and Joe Pacheco, Brooklyn Independent Program Director and director of As Smart as They Are.

Next on my plate is...Sunday, I'm going to try to be the first in line at Alice Tully Hall to get tickets for the New York Film Festival when they go on sale to the public. I must get tickets to David Lynch's Inland Empire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home