g The Film Panel Notetaker: SXSW - No Budget Filmmaking - March 9, 2008

Thursday, March 13, 2008

SXSW - No Budget Filmmaking - March 9, 2008

Sunday morning I was on the phone with my airline trying to re-arrange my flight so I could stay a little longer at SXSW and in the process, I missed pretty much all of the No Budget Filmmaking panel, however I did make it to the last five minutes and got to sit in on the last audience question. I really wish I was able to get there at the beginning as one of my very own questions was asked by moderator Agnes Varnum. A few weeks ago, Agnes posed the question on her blog if anyone might have any questions she could ask. My question was: With the success of your films, you’ve gotten to travel to many film festivals across the country and throughout the world. Would you say you spend more money on traveling with a film than making the film itself? Do you ever factor in the traveling into your budget, or how do you finance your trips? If anyone was at this panel and know what the panelists answers were, please send them my way. Thanks!


SXSW Film Conference & Festival
No Budget Filmmaking
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Austin Convention Center – Room 15 – 11am


Moderator:
(AV) Agnes Varnum - Editor, Doc It Out

Panelists:
(PH) Paul Harrill - Lovell Films
(TW) Ti West - Director, Trigger Man
(JS) Joe Swanberg - Director, Hannah Takes the Stairs
(AK) Aaron Katz - Director, Let's Get Down to Brass Tacks


Audience Q&A:

Q: How do you validate your success?

Swanberg: You have to be ambitious, but can’t be an asshole. You have to get along with people. Had we not screened Kissing on the Mouth at SXSW, it may be likely I’d still be a web designer in Chicago.

West: If it wasn’t for Matt Dentler, we’d be doing something else now. He watched my DVD and called to tell me it wasn’t working and wanted another copy.

Dentler: It’s not true. You guys would have done fine.

Harrill: You have to do something different. That’s what’s going to have someone call you and say I want to finish watching your movie.

West: People hate my movies. They get criticism. You have to take the good with the bad.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home